Sunday, November 2, 2008

Cookie Fun this weekend.

I have plans to enter 6 cookie lots at the fair this year, so I need some practice. Cookies are very competitive categories!

I made a batch of chocolate chip cookies and 2 batches of peanut butter cookies with recipes from my Better Homes and Gardens cookbook (1996). I like the results from these recipes, especially the chocolate chip cookies. I'd rather use all butter, but my cookies always brown and spread more than I want them to; now I use half butter, half shortening, and I like the way they turn out much better.

I entered Chocolate Crinkles (Betty Crocker, 1963-1996) in the fair last year in the "Ball cookies, not flattened before baking" lot. Unfortunately, I didn't win a ribbon with those cookies. However, they're still one of Mr. Findlay-Lampkin's favorites. I'm lucky to get a taste of them when he's around. They are almost a cake-like cookie, because of the amount of eggs in them.


When making Chocolate Crinkles, you put a teaspoon of dough in the powdered sugar before forming into a ball.


Make sure to grease the pan with shortening before baking.

The finished cookies! They have a unique look, and are quite delicious!


This year I plan to enter the same cookie lot, only with a different cookie. I will make gingersnaps for my ball cookie. This recipe is from my 9th grade Family Enterprise class at SCC. I'm not sure where it's from, but it's a good recipe. Thanks Ms. Monson!

Mixing the molasses into the creamed sugar and shortening.
Adding the spices, soda, and salt. I like using small cups with measurements of these types of ingredients.
The finished dough

Take about a teaspoon of dough and form into a ball. Gingersnaps are not a large cookie.


Roll the ball of dough in the granulated sugar


Place on cookie sheet

The finished cookies! They will also have a cracked appearance, but will flatten during baking.

No comments: